Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I Hate Thanksgiving...

There aren't too many things in life that I hate. In fact, when i hear the word "hate;" I usually tend to use the phrase "Don't hate... Appreciate!" You can always appreciate something or someone for their faults. Every year, i'm reminded after it's too late... and that is, I Hate Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving is supposed to be a time that we are thankful to God for everything that He has given us. Now, don't get me wrong. I thank God everyday for the many blessings that Has given to me. He deserves all the glory on this holiday... among everything else; even that gloriously tasty golden bird that we all eat. That is what Thanksgiving is supposed to be about.

Here's the problem. People ruin thanksgiving! When this time of the year rolls around, families come together, but if you have a family like mine (and most of you do), than you have a disfunctional family. They argue, fight, and worst of all, complain because someone burnt their favorite dish; the dumplings. Then, everyone in the family starts discussing what they want for Christmas and who is going to buy what for each person. After Thanksgiving festivities are over, retailers jump on the bandwagon against the point of the season and drag people out to line up at the doors at 5 A.M. The people go and buys gifts to give instead of being thankful for what they have. That is not what thanksgiving is supposed to be about.

This week, i am staying at my girlfriend's house ALONE with her dogs while she is with her family in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. I am currently working on two research papers that i have due after break because all of my professors think i have nothing to do this week. On Thanksgiving Day, i will be with my family in Mt. Vernon, Indiana. Then, on Friday and Saturday, i will be working my life away at Gordman's. I hope you will have a better Thanksgiving holiday than myself.

Whatever you do during the Thanksgiving season this week, don't forget to remember what it's all about. Be thankful for what you have, and don't worry about what your going to give for Christmas... Thank God for all the blessings that you have!

No comments:

Benjamin Joseph Blair's Facebook Notes